CITY SQUARE PARK HONORED AT BOSTON PRESERVATION ALLIANCE ANNUAL AWARDS CEREMONY.
Historic park represents the first new open space created by the Big Dig.
Charlestown, Mass., June 24, 1997 – The Boston Preservation Alliance honored City Square Park during their annual awards program last week. As reported in the Boston Herald, the BPA recognized general contractor McCourt Construction, landscape architect The Halvorson Co., artist David Phillips, and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Management for creating a park that “enhances Boston’s built environment.”
The park is located at the site of Charlestown’s City Square – first designed in 1629. It incorporates custom-built ornamental fence, extensive granite and brickwork, and award-winning sculptures, all spread throughout expansive green space decorated with more than 70 separate species of trees, shrubs, perennial flowers, groundcovers and grasses. The Park even features the foundation of a seventeenth century tavern destroyed by the British during the revolutionary war.
The Boston Preservation Alliance Awards are bestowed annually to honor outstanding achievements in historic preservation and compatible new construction in Boston. The other projects recognized this year were, the Exchange Conference Center at the Boston Fish Pier, the Boston Historic Markers Program, the restoration of the Colonial Theater, and Frog Pond at the Boston Common.
McCourt Construction is a comprehensive general contractor that was founded in 1893. The company has worked extensively in both the public and private sectors, developing an expertise in infrastructure projects, real estate development, site work, landscaping, utilities, and finish work. Based in Boston, Massachusetts, McCourt has taken on projects from California to London, from Canada to the Caribbean.