Winter Street Bridge Over I-95 Reconstruction
In this major bridge reconstruction Project for MassDOT, McCourt Construction reconstructed the Winter Street Bridge over Route 128 / Interstate 95 and the interchanges on either side. The project involved building a temporary Bridge over the highway (including temporary drilled shafts and piers), and realigning the roadway to take traffic off the old bridge. McCourt then demolished the existing bridge. Next the new bridge was constructed including drilled shafts and new piers and abutments. Finally the interchanges on either sides of the bridge were reconstructed to improve the traffic flow of the on and off ramps.
Also included in the project was building several cast-in-place and natural stone retaining walls, significant traffic control, new and redesigned traffic signals, landscape beautification, and pedestrian improvements. McCourt was able to significantly reduce the schedule by designing a new staging and traffic management plan, which elminated an entire construction stage.
Final Value: $21,500,000
Completion Date: Dec, 2011
Unique Project Features
• Selected by bonding company to complete project after previous contractor defaulted
• Architecturally detailed seven-lane bridge over Interstate
• Temporary bridges to maintain previous traffic volumes
• Extensive, complex utility relocations
Project Awards and Accolades
• “The reconstruction of the bridge was well done and I am pleased with the final product by MassDOT.” State Representative Thomas Stanley
• “Residents, commuters, local business and business travelers are already benefitting from the newly reconstructed Winter Street Bridge. Projects like this one help to fuel a healthy economy.” MassDOT Secretary Richard Davey